About Dublin:Dublin is the lively capital of Ireland and the perfect GECCO destination. It is served by several low-cost airlines, offering a wide range of flight deals, and provides several accommodation options. The social event will take place at Ireland’s No. 1 international visitor attraction, the Guinness Storehouse. More information at:
Dublin TV channel: http://videos.wavenex.ie/visitdublin/
Why not extend your time in Ireland beyond the GECCO conference?
Dublin provides an excellent base to explore the four corners of the Emerald Isle.
Members of the NCRA Group at UCD suggest the following places to visit:
- Clíodhna, Miguel and John Mark suggested Galway City and surroundings - trains directly from Dublin
- Wei and Jonathan suggested County Wicklow, just an hour south of Dublin, with numerous attractions including Glendalough, Powerscourt House, Gardens and Waterfall, Glenmalure Valley and Waterfall.
- John Mark, Erik and Irene suggested the Cliffs of Moher . One day tours available from Dublin.
- Dave suggested Newgrange (Bru na Boinne), County Meath. Again tours available from Dublin.
- Erik and John Mark suggested Giant's Causeway in County Antrim. Tours are available from Dublin taking in Belfast.
- Dave, Miguel and Clíodhna suggested the Ring of Kerry. Highlights include the Gap of Dunloe, Lakes of Killarney and Ross Castle. As County Kerry is further from Dublin it requires more than a day to take in the many sites. There is a train from Dublin to Killarney via Cork.
- Irene suggests County Donegal which has a number of highlights including Glenveagh National Park, Slieve League sea cliffs and surfing lessons in Fanad. Again Donegal is further from Dublin so a few days would be required. Travel there by car or there are bus options.
Bus Eireann also offer a number of day trips from Dublin, which are worth considering.
Events in Ireland (10-17 July 2011):
A sample of events taking place in the week around GECCO 2011.
Discover Ireland (updated 14 April) have a more complete list, and here's a handy Calendar for 2011.
Riverdance, (If you don't know what this is, it's a MUST!) Dublin's Gaiety Theatre
Galway Arts Festival, Galway City
Macnas Festival Parade, Galway City
Oxegen Festival, Pop/Rock Music Festival, Naas, Co.Kildare
Volvo Dun Laoghaire Regatta, Dublin
Darley Irish Oaks, The Curragh, Co. Kildare
Edenderry Canal Fishing Festival, Co. Offaly
Achill Yawl Sailing, Co. Mayo
If you're feeling active and adventurous...
Hillwalking in Donegal, (Irene insisted we add this one ;-)) Glencolmcille, Co. Dongeal
Jog in the Bog, Tuam, Co. Galway
Ras na Riochta, (Adventure Race) Killorglin, Co. Kerry
The Maxi Marathon, Killarney, Co. Kerry
Samuel Beckett Summer School, Trinity College Dublin
Hill of Tara Lecture Series, Tara, Co. Meath